Difference Between AWS Direct Connect Cost and AWS VPN Connection Cost
- July 6, 2023
- Posted by: romanceresnak
- Category: AWS
AWS Direct Connect Cost and AWS VPN Connection Cost differ in terms of their pricing models and cost structures. Here is a deep detail comparison of the cost aspects of AWS Direct Connect and AWS VPN Connection:
AWS Direct Connect Cost:
- Upfront Costs: Setting up AWS Direct Connect involves upfront costs. These costs include the equipment needed on the customer’s end, such as routers and switches, as well as any additional hardware or cabling required for the physical connection.
- Port Fees: AWS Direct Connect charges port fees based on the chosen link speed. The fees are typically charged per hour or per month, depending on the billing option selected.
- Data Transfer Fees: In addition to port fees, AWS Direct Connect also incurs data transfer fees. These fees vary based on the data transfer region, link speed, and the amount of data transferred over the Direct Connect connection.
- Outbound Data Transfer Pricing: Outbound data transfer from AWS to the customer’s network over Direct Connect is typically charged at reduced rates compared to regular data transfer costs.
- Cross-Region Data Transfer: If data transfer is required between AWS Regions over Direct Connect, additional data transfer costs may apply.
AWS VPN Connection Cost:
- Hourly Charges: AWS VPN Connection is charged on an hourly basis. Customers pay for each hour the VPN connection is active, regardless of the data transfer volume.
- Data Transfer Fees: AWS VPN Connection incurs data transfer fees for both inbound and outbound data transfer between the customer’s network and the AWS VPC. The fees are based on the amount of data transferred.
- VPN Tunnel Data Transfer: Data transferred through the VPN tunnel is subject to standard AWS data transfer rates, which can vary based on the AWS Region and the volume of data transferred.
- No Upfront Costs: Unlike AWS Direct Connect, AWS VPN Connection does not have upfront costs associated with the setup or equipment. Customers are only charged based on the duration of the active VPN connection and the data transfer volume.
In summary, AWS Direct Connect incurs upfront costs for equipment and port fees, along with data transfer fees based on the link speed and the volume of data transferred. It provides reduced outbound data transfer pricing and may have additional costs for cross-region data transfer. AWS VPN Connection is charged on an hourly basis for the active VPN connection and incurs data transfer fees for the inbound and outbound data transfer through the VPN tunnel. There are no upfront costs associated with VPN Connection setup or equipment.